(17 May 2010)
Having met in Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran, the undersigned have agreed on th
1. We reaffirm our commitment to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclea
Weapons and in accordance with the related articles of the NPT, recall the right of al
State Parties, including the Islamic Republic of Iran, to develop research, productio
and use of nuclear energy (as well as nuclear fuel cycle including enrichmen
activities) for peaceful purposes without discrimination.
2. We express our strong conviction that we have the opportunity now to begin a forward
looking process that will create a positive, constructive, non-confrontationa
atmosphere leading to an era of interaction and cooperation.
3. We believe that the nuclear fuel exchange is instrumental in initiating cooperation in
different areas, especially with regard to peaceful nuclear cooperation including
nuclear power plant and research reactors construction.
4. Based on this point the nuclear fuel exchange is a starting point to begin cooperation
and a positive constructive move forward among nations. Such a move should lead to
positive interaction and cooperation in the field of peaceful nuclear activities replacing
and avoiding all kinds of confrontation through refraining from measures, actions an
rhetorical statements that would jeopardize Iran’s rights and obligations under th
5. Based on the above, in order to facilitate the nuclear cooperation mentioned above, th
Islamic Republic of Iran agrees to deposit 1200 kg LEU in Turkey. While in Turke
this LEU will continue to be the property of Iran. Iran and the IAEA may station
observers to monitor the safekeeping of the LEU in Turkey.
6. Iran will notify the IAEA in writing through official channels of its agreement with th
above within seven days following the date of this declaration. Upon the positiv
response of the Vienna Group (US, Russia, France and the IAEA) further details of th
exchange will be elaborated through a written agreement and proper arrangemen
between Iran and the Vienna Group that specifically committed themselves to delive
120 kg of fuel needed for the Tehran Research Reactor (TRR).
7. When the Vienna Group declares its commitment to this provision, then both partie
would commit themselves to the implemention of the agreement mentioned in item 6
Islamic Republic of Iran expressed its readiness to deposit its LEU (1200 kg) within
one month. On the basis of the same agreement the Vienna Group should deliver 120
kg fuel required for TRR in no later than one year.
8. In case the provisions of this Declaration are not respected Turkey, upon the request o
Iran, will return swiftly and unconditionally Iran’s LEU to Iran.
9. We welcome the decision of the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue as in the past
their talks with the 5+1 countries in Turkey on the common concerns based on
collective commitments according to the common points of their proposals.
10. Turkey and Brazil appreciated Iran’s commitment to the NPT and its constructive role
in pursuing the realization of nuclear rights of its member states. The Islamic Republic
of Iran likewise appreciated the constructive efforts of the friendly countries Turkey
and Brazil in creating the conducive environment for realization of Iran’s nuclear